On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 01:25:10PM -0700, Mike Larkin wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 09:16:42PM +0100, Jurjen Oskam wrote:
  [...]
> > uvn_flush: obj=0xfffffd813ee78298, offset=0x33f0000.  error during pageout.
> > uvn_flush: WARNING: changes to page may be lost!
> > uvn_flush: obj=0x0, offset=0x33f0000.  error during pageout.
> > uvn_flush: WARNING: changes to page may be lost!
> >     [ repeat last two lines many times ]
  [...]
> > nvme0 at pci19 dev 0 function 0 "VMware NVMe" rev 0x00: apic 1 int 16, NVMe
> > 1.0
> > nvme0: VMware Virtual NVMe Disk, firmware 1.0, serial VMWare NVME-0000
>
> Why did you assign this non-default disk type to the guest VM?
>
> Try assigning mpi(4) (LSI Logic SAS) instead. I've been using that with my
> ESXi 6.7U3 box here without problems for weeks.
>
> If that works, it's either an error in our nvme(4) driver or ESXi's emulation
> of the NVMe hardware.

I forgot to mention that I tried using different controller types, and
nvme(4) happened to be the one I took the dmesg of. The ones I tried were
LSI Logic SAS, LSI Logic Parallel and VMware Paravirtual (the latter
after working around the lost first write problem). All showed the same
symptom.

I have been trying old snapshots (thanks to the snapshot archive at
ftp.hostserver.de), and found the point where the problem started to
occur:

All snapshots I tried up to and including this point did not show the
problem:
OpenBSD 6.6-beta (GENERIC.MP) #202: Mon Aug 12 11:01:21 MDT 2019

All snapshots I tried starting from this point show the problem:
OpenBSD 6.6-beta (GENERIC.MP) #207: Tue Aug 13 11:32:34 MDT 2019

Would it be helpful to start a binary search for the exact commit that
introduced the problem? I've been looking at the commit history around
that time but haven't been able to spot an obvious candidate; but that's
probably because I'm not a programmer.

Regards,

Jurjen Oskam