> Hi,
>
> On my OpenBSD server, run with 6.6, I installed Postgresql server.
>
> I have a problem with auth. solene@ is informed of this problem; but
> I'll tell you about it. Perhaps you have a solution?
>
> FYI: I start completely with Postgresql. Usually I use MySQL*
> Postgresql has just been installed.
>
> ----
>
> The error message:
>
> psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "***"
>
> ----
>
> Demo:
>
> # su - _postgresql
> arrakiss$ psql -U postgres
> Password for user postgres:
> psql (11.5)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> postgres=# CREATE USER ghiMDQawgogUfFRTikPoWsUFN1xX8bgz2 WITH PASSWORD
> '6TsrKeqq93KyVtc5yVjU9dfZsJkPPtKKdSyEnjypZDkVdgtW4aVN3YNQd5vKoFNx';
> CREATE ROLE
> postgres=# \connect template1
> You are now connected to database "template1" as user "postgres".
> template1=# CREATE DATABASE "A5mSHO4SamFa2OJmJC81GbDtUhj4wkyU2" WITH
> ENCODING 'UTF-8';"
> CREATE DATABASE
> template1"# GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON DATABASE
> "A5mSHO4SamFa2OJmJC81GbDtUhj4wkyU2" TO ghiMDQawgogUfFRTikPoWsUFN1xX8bgz2;
> template1"# ALTER DATABASE "A5mSHO4SamFa2OJmJC81GbDtUhj4wkyU2" OWNER TO
> ghiMDQawgogUfFRTikPoWsUFN1xX8bgz2;
> template1"# \q
> Use control-D to quit.
> template1"# \q
> arrakiss$ exit
>
> In fact, I have one created user, named ghiMDQawgogUfFRTikPoWsUFN1xX8bgz2
> His password:
> 6TsrKeqq93KyVtc5yVjU9dfZsJkPPtKKdSyEnjypZDkVdgtW4aVN3YNQd5vKoFNx
> One created DB, named:
> A5mSHO4SamFa2OJmJC81GbDtUhj4wkyU2
>
> And the user ghiMDQawgogUfFRTikPoWsUFN1xX8bgz2 has all rights on DB
> A5mSHO4SamFa2OJmJC81GbDtUhj4wkyU2
>
> Right?!
>
> But, when I attempt to connect to DB with user, I have the above the
> error message:
> # psql -U ghiMDQawgogUfFRTikPoWsUFN1xX8bgz2
> Password for user ghiMDQawgogUfFRTikPoWsUFN1xX8bgz2:
> psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user
> "ghiMDQawgogUfFRTikPoWsUFN1xX8bgz2"
>
> # psql -U ghiMDQawgogUfFRTikPoWsUFN1xX8bgz2 -d
> A5mSHO4SamFa2OJmJC81GbDtUhj4wkyU2
> Password for user ghiMDQawgogUfFRTikPoWsUFN1xX8bgz2:
> psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user
> "ghiMDQawgogUfFRTikPoWsUFN1xX8bgz2"
>
> Ok I found it's necessary to change informations into file
> 'pg_hba.conf'. I set as:
> # grep A5mSHO4SamFa2OJmJC81GbDtUhj4wkyU2
> /var/postgresql/data/pg_hba.conf
>

> local A5mSHO4SamFa2OJmJC81GbDtUhj4wkyU2 all        trust
>
> And restart the service/daemon postgresql.
>
> Despite, I cant connect on!
>
> ---
>
> Any idea, please?!
>
> --
> ~ " Fully Basic System Distinguish Life! " ~ " Libre as a BSD " +=<<<
> [...]

The CREATE USER command is wrong, you forgot to add the LOGIN right.

The below should work for you.

CREATE USER ghiMDQawgogUfFRTikPoWsUFN1xX8bgz2 WITH LOGIN PASSWORD
'6TsrKeqq93KyVtc5yVjU9dfZsJkPPtKKdSyEnjypZDkVdgtW4aVN3YNQd5vKoFNx';

Also depending on the version of Postgresql the capital letters in the
username will be lowercase.  This will affect the login ability.

Have Fun!
Chuck Hall