On 2019-11-02 16:10, Raymond, David wrote:
> I recently installed OpenBSD on a Lenovo X1 Carbon with a solid state
> drive and it works great.

yep.

> My question is whether OpenBSD addresses the special characteristics
> of solid state drives, especially those having to do with longevity
> and reliability.

Just Use them, and plan on replacing them when they need to be replaced,
or at least demoting them to "when this fails, I won't cry" uses.

In other words, treat them JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER DRIVE.

If I hand you a five year old magnetic drive, would you put it in a
mission critical application?  Probably not.  If you have five year
old hardware in a mission critical application, you should be looking
at replacement.  Treat your SSDs exactly the same way, you will
have no problems.  Used very hard, SSDs last many years.  Used like
most people use a laptop, you will be replacing for other reasons
(capacity, hw it is in is uselessly old, etc.) long before the drives
wear out.

The obsession with SSD write fatigue is silly.  All drives can (and
do) fail, you must have a plan to deal with that, and in my
experience with SSDs, write fatigue is NOT the primary killer, it's
just a predictable one.

Nick.