On Tue, Nov 05, 2019 at 07:56:03PM +0100, Marc Chantreux wrote:

> there is no problem with other formats but can't you admit that for many
> people, something like
>
> * denis
> * brian
> * doug
>
> is easier to write, read and edit than << ?
>
> <ul>
>     <li>denis</li>
>     <li>brian<li>
>     <li>doug</li>
> </ul>
>
> also:
>
> * transpiling is always a good thing to catch and avoid errors. for
>   exemple: did you realize that the "brian" item is broken? this will
>   not happen using a markdown as source
> * the "proper" way to serialize an html/xml that is not intended to be
>   edited isn't the way i write above but this below instead. and frankly
>   i don't want to edit those kind of stuff

> > The fact that pandoc appears to not support the most important
> > documentation language, mdoc(7), at all, neither for input nor for
> > output, already makes me raise an eyebrow or two

Vim has many useful HTML plugins (or write your own)
The above list require two keystrokes and a number of list items wanted
in one plugin I have barely started to use.

A print CSS file can do a tremendous amount of formatting useful for
printed documents.

* brian
Has no formatting. Once again, we are talking ed(1). Followed by a
formatter. I use vim on my laptop and ed(1) on my phone. It works.
I detest Libreoffice. I have never yet gotten it to do anything I
needed.

But to each their own. Overall, this thread has been very enlightening
for me. I do need to learn some other methods. TeX and LaTeX keep coming
up everywhere I look.

Have fun,
Chris Bennett