Hi,

I'm setting up an embedded machine that won't be able to send mail to
the internet and it seems excessive to leave smtpd running just so root
can receive cron job output, but I can't see a way to cut smtpd out of
the delivery chain because mail.local doesn't implement sendmail-style
command-line options (in particular it doesn't have the -t option to
extract the recipient from the message headers) so I can't use it in
place of smtpctl in /etc/mailer.conf.

I could probably get cron to mail.local delivery working by editing and
recompiling cron to change the popen arguments but that seems like more
trouble than it's worth in the long run.

Is there some other way to do this? Is there a reason I've missed that
this is actually just a bad idea?

Thanks for your help,

--
Andrew Kanaber