On 11/27/19 4:27 PM, Joel Carnat wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have set custom OIDs in my snmpd.conf(5).
> When I walk or get those values, using snmp(1) or snmpget(1), the
> "name" parameters is not listed. I only get values described as
> OPENBSD-BASE-MIB::localTest.*
>
> Is there a straight way to get the configured names from snmp clients?
> Or do I have to write a MIB file for this particular localTest sub-MIB?
>
> TIA,
> Jo

The snmp protocol has no notion of symbolic names, it's just the oid
and the value.

If you want to show your custom name with snmp(1) you can add it to
mib.h and recompile. This is of course not supported. There currently
is no support for MIB-files for snmp(1), and there might never be.

For net-snmp you can write a custom MIB-file to get the symbolic name.

martijn@