On 2019-12-15 18:25:33 Nick Holland wrote:
> If the boot loader echoed anything, it's behaving As Desired

Actually, one of my machines that hangs on boot> doesn't echo anything.

> a char at the command line means "STOP ALL BOOTING

I wonder if a filter can be applied to the input e.g. Ignore all
non-printable input. I am curious as to why the one server that doesn't
echo anything is stopping on boot> prompt. Can anyone give me pointers to
modifying the boot code to show what character code is stopping the boot?

> BIOS upgrade.  Long shot, but maybe?

The one server that is echoing is updated to the latest bios. The other one
that is not echoing is not and has an interesting BIOS update description
of "Improve USB compatibility" so I'm going to have to try that.

> BIOS config option

I've tried several bios config options. No change.

> a boot.conf file should fix -- simply putting "boot" in /etc/boot.conf

A great suggestion. I had "boot bsd" in my boot.conf from someone
recommending this to me but then I ran into trouble when I did a sysupgrade
and then it didn't come back since I think the reboot failed to get to boot
bsd.upgrade and bsd kernel wasn't ready to boot yet. "boot" in the
boot.conf sounds like this would fix my problem and sysupgrade problem.

On 2019-12-16 18:02:19 Andrew Daugherity wrote:
> If you have console redirection configured in the BIOS

I don't. I am using the standard terminal.

> Note that this is not yet implemented in the UEFI bootloader

Ctrl key would be nice. I am using UEFI boot.

-alfred