On Wed, Jan 01, 2020 at 08:54:46AM -0700, List wrote:
> Hi *,
> I am currently building a home router based upon OpenBSD.
> I therefore need some kind of WIFI Hardware. This piece of hardware
> needs to be connected over usb.
> Do you have any suggestions or recommendations ? As far as I can see
> it's pretty hard  to find an antenna which is connected  via USB an runs
> on a supported chipset. It is  easy to get your hands on a
> realtek-chipset driven device. But urtw(4) doesn't support  Host AP
> mode. Only ones that do are: athn(4),  ral(4), ath(4).
> Finding those is hard.
>
> Maybe you guys know things I couldn't find ?
>
> g,
> Stephan

In all honesty, and I've tried what you are aiming for a couple of times
in the past, it's just easier to get a dedicated AP (or a cheap wifi
router with a cable on the ethernet switch, which is usually bridged
with the wifi interface) and connect to an OpenBSD router which will
do all the necessary packet filtering (including keeping the AP/router's
firmware from reaching the internet, if needed be).  IMHO this will be
stabler and faster than trying to find an adequate wifi board.  And
these days you're bound to get nice perks like multiple SSIDs and
802.11ac speeds (or whatever the latest 802.11* protocol is), which
AFAIK aren't available on OpenBSD yet.  Also, note that (if I am not
mistaken) ural(4) are the only USB Wi-Fi interfaces that can handle Host
AP mode, and they only do 802.11b/g which is kind of slow by today's
standards.