On Dec 31, 2019, at 08:30, Roderick <hru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As said, I had UW imap serving system user mailboxes, and now
> cyrus imap serving virtual users. You have to decide. With
> dovecot I have no other experience than compiling it.
>
> I think, I would preffer now UW Imap, because I have only few and trusted
> users, and because it is very simple, no much configuration and
> mantainance needed: it just publishes the mailboxes with imap,
> accessed with the system user/password.

So I’ve been running Dovecot for I don’t know how long (but started on Solaris,
so at least that long ago).  I used to have LDAP running, but decided it was
overkill since I’m the only one who logs into the boxes, the other three people
only read email.

Dovecot can seem complex, but it’s not at all.  It pretty much works out of the
box, with very few changes necessary (and works well with Lets Encrypt certs as
well).

My first OpenBSD configuration was based on
https://frozen-geek.net/openbsd-email-server-1/

My next will be based on
https://poolp.org/posts/2019-09-14/setting-up-a-mail-server-with-opensmtpd-dovecot-and-rspamd/,
 because I want to used rspamd instead of all the stuff loaded in the first
(for some reason, one of the daemons doesn’t start on boot — it does if I start
it manually.  Frankly, my machine never reboots, so I keep forgetting even
which one it is that doesn’t start.).  I got a little tripped up doing the 6.4
migration, so I have some catching up to do.

Looking at
https://www.tumfatig.net/20150620/opensmtpd-and-dovecot-on-openbsd-5-7/, it’s a
little too copy-pasta for my taste.   But even so, it doesn’t configure dovecot
for non-system users, so it’s unclear how virtual users were set up with
Dovecot.

Anyway, having run UW imap, cyrus, and dovecot — I run dovecot.  I also use
sdbox, BTW, which I believe no one but ancient MH people use.  My non-default
configs are pretty much limited to per-host configuration (like hostname),
sieve and SSL.

I think the biggest hurdle was getting used to LMTP.

Sean