On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 7:27 AM Anders Andersson <pipat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Every time information has to be entered twice there is room for error
> and inconsistencies, so preferably this list should be automatically
> generated from a simpler file, maybe /etc/hosts.

No need for dual entry or messing with the hosts file, unbound alone
is fine for resolving names.

> My second and more difficult issue is that I can't seem to find a way
> to feed information from the DHCP server into unbound, so that locally
> assigned hosts can be queried by their hostnames.

You have it backwards, let dhcp use the information in unbound to
assign the reserved address:
===============================
host alice {
  hardware ethernet 20:9e:02:f5:93:60;
  fixed-address alice.home.lan;
  option host-name "alice";
  }

Start unbound before dhcpd in your rc.conf.local (ex):
unbound_flags="-c /var/unbound/etc/unbound.conf"
dhcpd_flags="em0"

Make sure your resolv.conf points to unbound so that your system can
resolve the local dns names.

Chris