Where is the most appropriate place in the filesystem for this
 directory?  I've considered both /home/photos and /var/photos, but
 I'm not quite if one is better than the other, or if it just doesn't
 make a difference.

if you put them on /var & run out of space due to people stuffing pr0n or baby photos (the difference is debatable) then apps that store stuff in /var like mysql may die due to lack of space.

if you put them on /home your users can't work.

it depends on who you want to suffer the pain. in this case, i usually go for the users; at least there's some link in responsibility to the issue at hand.

cheers, scorch
--
out of the frying pan and into the fire