Joseph C. Bender wrote:
Jason Stubbs wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to set up redundant firewalls in pretty much the same way as is detailed in the PF FAQ. For discussion purposes, I've reproduced the basic network layout below.

From your description and questions below, it looks like you're not trying to do it the same way, and your understanding may be incomplete.

Apologies. I stated what I want to do but forgot to state the why. We're
moving to a new data center. Originally, I was looking at setting up
stock redundant firewalls but we will be charged almost as much for the
inactive line to the data center as the active line costs.

While inbound traffic isn't such a problem, output can reach up to 60Mbps during peak times. Hence, what I'd like to do is run 2 active 30Mbps lines and balance outgoing traffic between them rather than having active/passive 60Mbps lines.

[Snip Layout]

Firewall External IP addresses
10.0.0.1 nat'ed to sv1 with fw1 being the master
10.0.0.2 nat'ed to sv2 with fw2 being the master

Firewall Internal IP addresses
192.168.0.1 with fw1 being the master
192.168.0.2 with fw2 being the master

Are these CARP'd addresses, as in you have multiple CARP interfaces per NIC? If so, why?

CARP'd addresses, yes. The external addresses are those of the services being ran on sv1 and sv2 (which are in fact LVS'd Linux farms). The multiple internal addresses are for the internal servers to round-robin outgoing traffic to.

Now with sv1's default route being set to 192.168.0.1 and sv2's default route being set to 192.168.0.2 all should work fine (at least as far as documentation goes). However, what I'd like to do is have both sv1 and sv2 use both 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 for routing in a round-robin fashion. With fw1 handling sv1's nat'ing, will fw2 correctly be able to un'nat and send out replies sent by sv1?

I'm not going to answer this directly, mostly because I can't figure out, given you have a really kickass failover system, why you'd even want to do this. Given you're using hardware that is capable of using em cards, box loading shouldn't be an issue.

Put simply, you're trying to make this harder than it really is, I think. I suggest the following, which is what we use at the office and is a heck of a lot closer to what the PF User's Guide suggests:

[snip configuration details]

If fw1 goes paws up or needs maintenance, and if you've done everything right, fw2 will take the load almost instantly (within milliseconds in my experience).

This configuration is essentially what I'm looking at doing. The only difference is that instead of having one internal address, I'd like to have two. As I said above, the goal is to balance outgoing traffic and still have redundancy. I'm aware that when one box goes down there won't be enough bandwidth for peak times, but that's a cost/performance tradeoff that's been approved.

[snip rest, as it's not relevant to my answer]

My whole point is that with the CARP and pfsync redundancy, there's no need to have really complicated routes to and from your servers and their firewalls.

Actually, we'd need to be looking to find a way to balance outgoing traffic anyway. We're at about 60Mbps during peak times now but that's only going to grow. As we can only get a maximum of 100Mbps out of each line, overcoming that limit is also on the agenda.

From what I understand of the theory, it should work but I was hoping to get a "yes, I'm doing it" from somebody. Unless there's a reason it won't work, I'll be having a go and getting it set up in the first week of March and will write back with the results.

--
Jason Stubbs