Dear Ingo,

Danke!

On 2/19/20, Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de> wrote:
> Just to make sure it worked, could you please show the output of:
>
>    $ setxkbmap -query

The output is:

rules:      base
model:      pc105
layout:     us
variant:    dvp

> What exactly do you mean by "not able to use"?
> If, while xterm is in focus, you press and relese the compose key,
> then press and release the first key, then press and release the
> second key, then press and release some latin letter key, what
> exactly happens after each step?

To type for example ø, I press and release the compose key, then press
and release the / key, and then press and release the o key. I get
/o
on xterm, but ø on firefox.

> Guessing blindly, the problem might be that while firefox finds a font
> to display the character, xterm does not.  Or that you have changed
> your xterm configuration in some way that disables UTF-8 (it is on
> by default).  Can you please retry in xterm with a different character
> that can be displayed in xterm out of the box, say U+00E5 LATIN
> SMALL LETTER A WITH RING ABOVE?  What happens if you type and release
> ralt, then a, then a, then x?

xterm can display å too, when I copies it using shift+insert from
firefox or other places.

xterm can display ø when I copies it using shift+insert from firefox
or other places.

> If none of the above lets you solve your problem yet, what does the
> following command say:
>
>   $ xterm -report-xres
>
> In an xterm started that way, does the compose key work?
> Both with the character you want and with U+00E5 A RING?

Ugh. xterm says:

xterm: bad command line option "-report-xres"

I forgot to report maybe an important piece of information. I use scim
to type in Chinese. I use the default xdm. Here is my .xsession:

export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8

export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
scim -d

setxkbmap -layout us -variant dvp -option compose:ralt

exec dbus-launch /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm

I was going to ask my questions one by one so that I will not flood
the email list with all my questions. But the scim question is the
following.

Quite the opposite of my compose key problem, I am not able to
activate scim (by ctrl + space) on normal GUI programs (firefox,
libreoffice, xpdf, keepassxc, emacs-gtk etc).

But but but, I am able to activate scim on xterm and type Chinese there.

So I have actually been typing æ, ø, å in firefox and copy back to
xterm and typing Chinese using scim on xterm and copy back to firefox
/ libreoffice for like more than half a year.... I had this problem on
OpenBSD 6.5 too (I was using OpenBSD like 10 years ago for some time
and also in between in the past ten years. I went back, last year, to
OpenBSD... Was using NetBSD even longer time ago and started using
unix-like system around 2001 or 2002)..... But I did not have this
type of scim / compose key problems on Debian, NixOS, Arch Linux, or
Void Linux, which are the Linux distributions that I used in the
recent years.

Good morning, by the way!

Yours sincerely,
Xianwen