On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 10:42:18PM +0200, Mario Theodoridis wrote:
> > Also, athn(4) does not support Tx aggregation yet, and 40 MHz channels are
> > not yet suppored either. In practice this means the driver won't be
> > noticably
> > faster in 11n mode than it is in 11a/g modes. For now, I would recommend
> > using 11a mode if you want it to be as fast as possible.
>
> Hmm, using
> media autoselect mode 11a mediaopt hostap
> nwid foo
> wpaprotos wpa2
> wpakey mysecret
> up
>
> Brings the inteface up alright, but i don't see any 5 or 2.4 GHz signal with
> a Wifi analyzer nor can i connect.

The 'nwid' and 'wpakey' options should appear on the same line.

You don't need to specify 'wpaprotos wpa2' since this is the default.

> > is going to help when your channel is heavily used by one or more other
> > wifi networks. Ensure that your AP is running on a channel where no other
> > wifi networks can be seen in a scan.
>
> The channel is available, but i am only using one antenna. I remember trying
> with both didn't help, though.

If you use 11n mode you must have 2 antennas connected for MIMO.
Otherwise it will perform rather badly since MIMO frames (MCS-8 to MCS-15)
are going to be lost.

> > > OpenBSD 6.6 (GENERIC.MP) #7: Thu Mar 12 11:55:22 MDT 2020
> >
> > One way you could help is to keep following -current, upgrade a day or so
> > after any wifi-related commits happen, and letting us know if things are
> > better or worse compared to a previous snapshots.
>
> I'm looking into that.
>
> Meanwhile is there a mini PCI chipset that will do 54Mb or more in hostap
> mode?

54Mbit where? You're not going to see tcpbench displaying "54Mbps" on a
"54Mbit" AP if that's what you're expecting to see.
Typically "54 Mbit" refers to a specific modulation scheme (64-QAM with a
3/4 coding rate) used to transmit the data payload of an 802.11 frame.
But transmitting a frame involves a lot more than just sending payload data,
so user-visible data rates are much lower and depend on many factors.
In my experience tcpbench over 11a maxes out at around 20-30 Mbps on a
clean channel.

Regarding other chipsets, if you want the fastest possible AP on OpenBSD
your best option right now is to get a bwfm(4) device, which offloads almost
all of its 802.11 operation into a firmware blob running in the embedded
system on the device. So far, this is the only way to have an OpenBSD 11ac
AP (with the caveat that about the only OpenBSD wifi code you're running
is the code that handles WPA handshakes; everything else is offloaded).