On 2020-04-22, tru...@tutanota.com <tru...@tutanota.com> wrote:
> hello list,
>
> digging the net [1] reveales MSM standing for "Mobile system/soc Modem"
> and MDM standing for "Mobile Data Modem".
>
> "Qualcomm MSM" is being explicitly mentined at ucom(4) and usb(4), no
>  mention of "Qualcomm MDM" neither at manuals nor at OpenBSD lists'
> archives thou.
>
> the question is is
> https://www.alcatelmobile.com/product/mobile-broadband/mobile-wifi/linkkey-lte-cat4-usb-dongle/
> supported while umsm(4) does not list it?
>
> should i buy or should i cry - someone knowledgeable take time to advise
> please?
> (please copy me, thank you!)
> /tru
>
> [1]
> https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-Qualcomm-Board-and-Model?share=1

Is somebody selling those yet? The device in your link is Linkkey
IK41 which is new so you probably won't find anyone who tried them
with OpenBSD yet, if they are even available (release was meant to
be Q1 2020 but it wouldn't surprise me if it has been caught up in
shipping delays from PRC). I would guess it maybe a umb(4) device
but I think you would need to buy one to find out (so if you do,
get it from somewhere that will accept returns if necessary).

Most places selling "alcatel linkkey" seem to have the older model
IK40 which has the word "alcatel" not just the logo (and does not
have the external antenna connectors). That one is from around 2016,
not sure what driver it will use, I would guess umsm or urndis is
more likely for IK40 but it may require some mode-switch command
that we don't have yet.