On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 01:07:36PM -0400, Andras Farkas wrote:
> I saw in fsck_ffs.8
> https://man.openbsd.org/fsck_ffs.8
> that the answers could be found in
> Fsck_ffs - The UNIX File System Check Program
> This is perfectly fine.  Not every piece of information belongs in a
> man page.  Man pages are the right format for some sorts of info, and
> absolutely the wrong format for some other sorts.
> BUT: I looked and couldn't find it, and ended up using
> https://docs.freebsd.org/44doc/smm/03.fsck/paper.pdf
> which is where I found my answer.
> Only after I already solved the problem did I find that the mentioned
> file exists here:
> https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sbin/fsck_ffs/SMM.doc/

Most of these files haven't been updated in ages.

The few remaining in the source tree are there as reference for people
when writing documentation and updating the source.

Each time we see them, we cringe, and keep tidying the source code and
the man page.

Speaking for personal experience working on make.

If you really want the source code for documentation purposes, what prevents
you from getting it off cvs  or a github mirror ?

Seriously, *none* of those files are necessary *for beginners*. Once you
reach the stage where you might benefit from them (say, because you actually
want to become a developer, and could learn from worse sources), you should
be able to figure out how to get them.

Having an extra set here means... more options... more code that can go
wrong, and thus a SLOWER turn-around for snapshots, which is definitely
a bad thing.