On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 07:33:20PM +0100, Ed Gray wrote:
Hi,

I have an issue with XFCE on OpenBSD 6.6 and current on an amd64 system.
XFCE works fine except for accessing the applications menu with the Alt +
F1 keyboard shortcut. Instead of loading the menu it gets highlighted in
grey and nothing happens. Clicking the menu loads it straight away.

The shortcut is defined in the keyboard settings as the default for
xfce4-popup-applicationsmenu which is different from the shortcut for the
desktop menu. Sometimes in another application such as firefox when I press
Alt + F1 a second time I get the desktop menu appear, even though firefox
is maximised and I'm not on the desktop.

I can't confirm at the moment if it is specific to OpenBSD or XFCE in
general.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Have seen this on Void Linux as well.  Family member needed Netflix on
her laptop, so I couldn't push OpenBSD, even though it ran fine.  (Had
to check, and by the way, it was surprising to see how much slower it
ran compared to Alpine or Void.)

But this is an older Xfce bug, I remember having similar issues when
I last gave it a shot.  This used to work reliably in older versions
though, back when Xfce was based on GTK+ 2.x.

To end in a positive note, one thing I learned on my OpenBSD adventure
is "the best desktop is no desktop".  cwm never fails to open its
menus.  Keep it stupid simple.