On 2020-08-19, Doug Moss <dougmoss...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think the problem in lcdproc is in the code from this file (port.h)
> https://github.com/lcdproc/lcdproc/blob/master/server/drivers/port.h
>
> I am out of my depth with this code. I have never even seen these
> calls 'outb' and 'inb'

You're saying this as if you never did any MS-DOS or CP/M programming.
Which is the mindset with which some of those "drivers" were written.

I've had to touch the lcdproc port a bunch of times, because it
keeps breaking, and we had to disable ever more of it.  It supports
a zillion LCD modules--virtually all of them vastly obsolete, I
assume--with userland "drivers" that frequently need direct hardware
access.  The concept is fundamentally broken on Unix.  I have no
idea if the fraction of functionality that is still available is
even useful, and I would be inclined to just remove the port.
Apparently there is some newer upstream code available, but there
is no port maintainer, nobody cares, it won't fix the fundamental
problems, and so the rotting carcass just languishes.

No, no, don't remove it, it might still work for somebody somewhere...
Oh well, then.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de