On 2020-10-03, tera torn <terat...@zoho.com> wrote:
> I've been a happy user of OpenBSD softraid RAID 1 mirroring, and I'm
> attemtping to migrate data off of a degraded RAID 1 mirror.
>
> I've booted before from the 6.7 install USB (amd64) and this degraded
> chunk was detected and the volume was brought up and my data was there.
>
> I'm not sure what's happened but now when I boot the same media I'm
> unable to detect the softraid volume.

I would guess that it most likely got too far into the installer and
overwrote the partition table information.

What was on the disk - one big single partition for softraid, or was
it more complex?

> Is there a way to debug this?

> Can the chunk be manually mounted as an ffs volume? it should still
> contain a normal ffs filesystem somewhere right?

Show us current fdisk/disklabel output to eyeball first before you make
any changes.

If it used the default partition start position and the entire disk was
used to create one big softraid partition (with other partitions inside
that), then creating a new disklabel with the same configuration should
be easy enough. I'm not sure you can get bioctl/softraid to forcibly
assemble a new softraid device on a single disk but if the partition
is setup in the disklabel and has the correct filesystem type (RAID)
it should assemble at boot.

If that doesn't help, maybe scan_ffs might be able to find the
filesystem inside the softraid; then it should be fairly straightforward
to construct a new disklabel allowing it to be mounted.

Unfortunately scan_ffs only supports FFS not FFS2 so if it was a newly
created or large filesystem that might not be able to help.