> Backup MX is a relic and a legacy.  It breaks almost all spam filters.
> Modern mail infrastructure doesn't need it, except in rare cases.

why so?  I use one here at work with great success.  I use Postfix so
I'm no use to the OP.  I don't have any problems with double bounces,
and my spam tools aren't broken.

I have noticed that spammers won't even bother trying to connect to
the primary, they just try the backup thinking that my primary server
will accept mail as a relay from the backup, which of course it will,
but only if that message passes spamd, 3 rbls, and amavis/SA, in which
case it would have passed on the primary one anyway if I didn't have a
backup configured at all.

Seems to be just fine.

--Bryan