On 17.12.2020 03:07, Chris Zakelj wrote:
Coming back to my self-teaching on how to (hopefully eventually) be
semi-competent, I'm working on trying to build a git project from
source.  Thus far I've been able to figure out things like functions
having slight name differences (e.g. |pthread_set_name_np()| instead of
|pthread_setname_np()) and missing #includes in .hh files, but getting
stuck on a library issue... about halfway through the first module, I'm
failing with:

Will be nice to know which code/project as maybe someone else work on that too

ld: error: unable to find library -lprotoc
ld: error: unable to find library -lprotobuf
c++: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)

https://www.openbsd.org/report.html

There are for sure other places with more info regarding that. Maybe
related Makefile is "hardcoded" with paths which are different on OpenBSD.
It offers at least hint to use -v for how it was invoked

I've pkg_add'ed the necessary packages, and the libraries exist in
/usr/local/lib.  I found one site that suggested creating a softlink
from .so to .so.9.0 in case the linker didn't understand versioning, but that didn't help. Read the .mk files in /usr/share/mk but nothing jumped
out as obvious, and /etc/mk.conf doesn't exist. Pretty sure I'm missing
something newbie-obvious, I just don't know what, so a kind "Look
here..." would be appreciated.

You can create /etc/mk.conf on your own with stuff you need. Maybe you can try to follow https://www.openbsd.org/faq/ports/guide.html as these things
are handled on that level and there are tools present like look for
'make port-lib-depends-check'

Verify shared library dependencies. Run make port-lib-depends-check and add every LIB_DEPENDS or WANTLIB annotation that is needed until it runs cleanly. You may want to read the update guidelines to understand why this is so important.

Or section Known your software, ports(7) and so on. There is too much to
read on the start doing it first time however.