Hey, I read that message about Freeradius not being able to access /dev/null in
a setup where /dev is mounted on an mfs -based filesystem.I'm running similar
setup (for years now) - OpenBSD on a USB stick. EVERYTHING is mounted
read-only, except /var, /tmp, /dev and /jails, which are mfs - based.
Now what I've noticed in particular about /dev is this: for this mfs-based /dev
to work I HAD TO leave the initial /dev directory populated with dev files just
as it was from the installation. Or else, run MAKEDEV in there -- but make sure
it is filled with devices with original permissions etc.
When I tried to mount mfs over EMPTY /dev directory, the resulting devices were
not accessible.
The same proved true about /var. So in order to install packages, I had to
remount /usr /var read-write, then install && remount ro. Otherwise it won't
work.

Hope that helps

With kindest regards,
Kostya Berger