On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, Nick Holland wrote:

> In fact, that machine is loaded with nvidia hw.  If you fixed
> the video, I suspect you will slam into other walls shortly after.

I know it's a "slow" computer (1) by todays standards, but the only
annoying thing is the slow scrolling (hit return, and watch as the
entire xterm content moves up one line before it displays the next
line). Everything else is "good enough" for software development
(it might take longer to compile stuff, but that doesn't matter
much to me - running the regression test suite takes the largest
amount of time).

> If you really want a dab of perfume on this pig, try a cheap ATI
> video card in whatever slots you have available in it.  However, once

Ok, I'll take a look at my other "collector items" to see if I
can find something that fits.

> I'm a tad bit curious about your implying the X performance got bad
> after 6.6...did this thing really not suck in 6.6 and before?  Maybe

Scrolling was just fine "back then": no visible delays - from
probably 5.3 up to 6.6 (AFAIR).

> there was regression in old nvidia hw with newer nvidia support?

I looked at the 6.7 release notes, but couldn't find anything obvious.
Maybe it is "hidden" in the "upgrade some X SW" entries?

Footnote:
(1) before 6.7 it was much faster/nicer to work with than the
"fancy" high-end Mac laptop that I have to use for work.