Hello,

I am getting a bunch of error messages of this kind in my NGINX error
log:

2021/01/16 13:40:45 [alert] 68769#0: *1 socket() failed (24: Too many
open files) while connecting to upstream, client: 123.45.67.89,
server: cloud.mydomainhere.tld, request: "GET /core/preview?blah=1
HTTP/2.0", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host:
"cloud.mydomainhere.tld"

I am running a Nextcloud server with NGINX and PHP 7.3. Since OpenBSD
Is quite conservative with open file limits by default, I assume that
NGINX/PHP is running into this limit.

I have already significantly increased 'kern.maxfiles' in sysctl.conf,
but the problem persists after a reboot, leading me to believe that it
is a login.conf limit that I am running into.

Both PHP and NGINX are running as user 'www', which does not have a
login class. Since I have not been in this situation before and
struggled to find a pointer online, I'd be thankful if you could tell
me the "recommended" or "best practice" way of doing this.

- Should I simply assign a login class to user 'www' and then change
my limits through that class?
- Should I run the processes as a different user & login class?
- Is there perhaps some other way to set limits just for specific
processes?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!