Hi,

the guys at corellium can boot the Linux kernel and also Ubuntu Linux on a arm based mac mini. Some details can be found at: https://corellium.com/blog/linux-m1
https://github.com/corellium
https://asahilinux.org/

Some details sound strange:
"...If that wasn't enough, Apple designed their own interrupt controller, the Apple Interrupt Controller (AIC), not compatible with either of the major ARM GIC standards. And not only that: the timer interrupts - normally connected to a regular per-CPU interrupt on ARM - are instead routed to the FIQ, an abstruse architectural feature, seen more frequently in the old 32-bit ARM days. Naturally, Linux kernel did not support delivering any interrupts via the FIQ path, so we had to add that..."

Best regards,
Sven