On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 04:52:13PM +0100, Rudolf Sykora wrote:

> In my case, my computer gathers mail from various mail services using
> mbsync. I want to be able to reply the mail, but have the reply use the
> mail server that is most suited for the reply. E.g., if I get an email
> from school (downloaded from the school service), I need that my answer
> is as if sent using the school service; similarly with my work mail,
> etc. (The people at work want me to use their address when dealing with
> work-related matters; it's then easily recognizable.) I thought the
> program used to create a message does not have to know how to send email
> (speak SMTP) but would just pass it to something that can (smtpd), to
> relay the mail further. But for this I'd need that the server to be used
> for sending be easily modified by user, as well as have some easy means
> to supply the needed credentials.

It sounds to me that need to configure your email clients to do the
switcheroo about from addresses, etc.
I use neomutt, which might not be suitable since it's a text only.
But I login to my shell. Then I start neomutt and bind keys within my
neomuttrc, to then login to another IMAP server
(from a list I have setup) and then reply with the correct From address,
using either the local smtpd or one on another server.

Using smtpd to send really just means sending the right email
and credentials, so there is no real problem having many email addresses
for one user. I use Dovecot for IMAP and base smtpd.

This is assuming that I have understood your problem correctly.

Chris Bennett