After fully reading the /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/php-7.4 readme I
found that
there is a third party package called pecl-libsodium so I searched for that
in openports.se and tried installing it
but had no luck. I also noticed there is a pecl-mcrypt
https://openports.se/security/pecl-mcrypt
So I tried installing that also with no success. Am I missing something?

IPAM% doas pkg_add pecl-mcrypt
quirks-3.441 signed on 2021-02-10T15:19:41Z
Can't find pecl-mcrypt

IPAM% doas pkg_add pecl-libsodium
quirks-3.441 signed on 2021-02-10T15:19:41Z
Can't find pecl-libsodium

- various useful third-party extensions from the PECL repository have
also been packaged. Examples include pecl-memcache (for use with
sysutils/memcached), pecl-imagick (image manipulation using ImageMagick),
pecl-libsodium (a wrapper for the libsodium cryptographic library), etc.