On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 05:03:55PM -0600, Luke Small wrote:
> I'm running fvwm window manager and I just switched to -current. Roxterm is
> totally messed up, won't do transparent background and I tried
> xfce4-terminal and it says it won't do transparent backgrounds because
> compositing is disabled.... Sure first-world problems, but I REALLY want
> fvwm to do transparent terminal emulators!

You can just run a compositor. xcompmgr(1) is in the X install. I personally
use compton from the package of the same name. picom (also in packages) is
supposed to be a successor to compton. They allow more compositor tricks
than xompmgr.

I've never got application's transparency settings to work well, so my
.kshrc (set in ENV in .profile) contains lines calling transset-df from
the package of the same name:

[ -n "$XTERM_VERSION" ] && transset-df --id "$WINDOWID" 0.85 > /dev/null
[ -n "$KITTY_WINDOW_ID" ] && transset-df --id "$WINDOWID" 0.85 > /dev/null