My latest issue with NTFS was that my external drive stopped
responding and caused Thunar to hang. After this my entire session
hung until I killed it with Ctrl + Alt+ backspace.

It seems the rsync data copy I did completely properly but the mount
stopped responding after some time of the PC being unused. Any
attempts to access the mounted directory caused a hang of the terminal
or process.

I  can now see with atactl that my USB hard drive supports power
management and looks to be in standby mode when not in use. I am
wondering if maybe the drive goes into standby or powers down and that
causes the mount to stop working or if it is a bug in NTFS-3G support
or something else.

This time I am going to run ntfs-3g with the debug mode enabled in
no_detach to determine if there are any errors when the drive is left
connected but unused.

It outputs the following on successful mount:

Version 2017.3.23 external FUSE 26
Mounted /dev/sd2i (Read-Write, label "SAMSUNG", NTFS 3.1)
Cmdline options: no_detach
Mount options:
allow_other,nonempty,relatime,fsname=/dev/sd2i,blkdev,blksize=4096
Ownership and permissions disabled, configuration type 1

Regards
Ed Gray
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ed-gray-55079422