On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 11:58:15AM -0500, Ax0n wrote:
> I initially noticed it when I hopped in a video room on Discord in Firefox
> and folks could see me and I could hear them, but Discord got no audio. It
> turns out, nothing gets any audio. sysctl has audio and video recording
> enabled, and pledge/unveil has been tweaked just a little for firefox to
> pick up the webcam.
>
> aucat isn't picking up any audio. playing back the WAV I recorded with
> aucat or audacity is just silence. Audacity visibly shows very very low
> audio levels in the "monitor" VU meter when recording, but no amount of
> tinkering with mixerctl, audioctl, or sndioctl seems to make a difference
> in the recorded audio -- it's just silent. Audio output is good (videos on
> youtube for example) and aucat can play other WAV files just fine. I use
> the pianobar package daily to stream Pandora while I work.
>
> I switched over to the latest snapshot and upgraded packages last night,
> and there's no change.

Hi,

There's a thread about gen7 X1's, here:

https://marc.info/?t=160707370200001&r=1&w=2

in short, on these machines, the microphone is not connected to the HD
audio codec (exposed by the azalia driver), but to another "intel
smart sound technology" chip for which OpenBSD has no driver.

If gen8 are the same, until this get fixed, I'd suggest using a
*full-duplex* USB audio headset for audio-conferencing.

There are also cheap -- but good quality, imho -- USB dongles with a
tiny sound card with a TRRS jack that allow most phone headsets to be
used on OpenBSD.

HTH,

-- Alexandre