O 10/04/21 ás 18:45, David Passens escribiu:
Hello folks,

I recently installed OpenBSD as a dualboot next to a Linux install. However, I didn't pay much attention to partitioning and created a new ESP.  This means that my Linux bootloader can't find the OpenBSD bootloader to chainload it.

Now I want to fix this situation.  If I don't reinstall (which I don'
want to), I need to move one bootloader onto the other ESP.  Moving the Linux bootloader seems easier, but I'd like to know if I can do the same with the OpenBSD one.

I could just try to move the executable but I'm not sure how the bootloader finds the partition to boot from and how sysupgrade finds the bootloader to upgrade it (if it does it at all, the man page didn't mention it).

Does anybody know whether it's safe to just move the bootloader to a different partition?  If so, can I rename it as well?  BOOTX64.efi conflicts with my linux bootloader.

I already tried to find out via boot(8) and boot_amd64(8) but they only talk about legacy BIOS.  At first glance, man -k efi doesn't point to any useful pages either.  I might've overlooked something though, I'm fairly new to OpenBSD.

Thanks in advance,
David

EFI can boot from any FAT partition on the drive. You can put any bootloader you want on that partition (usually it is the first) and EFI will be able to boot from it. Check your mobo documentation, but for me the BIOS menu includes an «Boot from» option, to select the EFI file from which to boot. Not knowing the OpenBSD specifics, it should boot even if you move it.

If you have doubts, try to recreate your setup on a virtual machine and try there.