Christian, Otto, Thanks for your feedback on this one....

Ill research it further,
but NTFS has 4K, 8K 32K and 64K Allocation units on the
filessystem and for Microsoft  windows running Exchange or Database workloads
they were recommending alignment of the NTFS partitions
on the 1MB offset also.

>From Otto's, explanation (Thanks) of 1/16  blocks would potentially
cross a boundary  of the
storage subsystem,
6.25% of reads(or writes)  could result in a double Read ( or double write)

of course the write issue is a bigger problem for the SSDs..

I can configure the partitions how I want ,for now anyway,

Ill do a little digging on FFS and FFS2 and see how the filesystem
database (or table)
is structured...

Thanks for the feedback it is very helpful to me....

All the best,

Tom Smyth

--
Kindest regards,