he...@ezaquarii.com writes:
> On 2021-04-24 22:50, li...@mailbox.org wrote:
> > Do you have any best / bad practices at hand regarding OpenBSD and
> > optionally the syslogd / tools it ships with?
>
> The main issue with remote logging is that your log messages could be
> lost
> when destination is unreachable.

Neither syslog(3) nor the standard it implements makes any attempt
to provide a facility in which log messages are guaranteed to be
delivered and recorded reliably. There is no way for logging code
to respond to errors which occurred in the logging system while
submitting the log message as is the case with any other I/O. If
that's a concern then logging may not be the appropriate solution.

        "The syslog() function shall send a message to an
        implementation-defined logging facility, which *MAY* log
        it in an implementation-defined system log ... (or a bunch
        of other optional things)" (emphasis added)

That said, there are some systems (as mentioned) which attempt to
do so anyway which I've found to work pretty well on the whole.

Matthew