On 4/26/21 7:43 AM, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:
On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 11:57:42PM -0500, John Batteen wrote:
Greetings misc,

I am running 6.9 and am having some difficulty.  I have
outputs.master=255,255 set in mixerctl.conf (it is the only line in
the file), but every time I open an application its individual
volume is set to 0.496.  For example, sndioctl reveals:

input.level=0.490
input.mute=0
output.level=1.000
output.mute=0
app/mplayer0.level=0.496

This is very quiet on my setup and I have to manually adjust the
volume every time.  I have read the entirety of the sndiod,
sndioctl, mixerctl, and mixerctl.conf man pages, and I can't find
anything that tells me how to change that default 0.496 value.  I'd
rather have it stay at 1.  I've tried modifying every value that was
set to 126 (0.496 * 255) or anywhere close to it in the default
mixerctl to 255,255 with mixerctl.conf but it still happens.  Is
this intended behavior?

When a program exits, its level setting is kept in memory by sndiod;
when the program is started again, it continues with its saved
level. The initial level is 1.

So when the system starts, app/mplayer0.level is supposed to be 1.

Is the problem with mplayer only or with all programs? If it's mplayer
only, is there something in ~/.mplayer/config that could cause this?

I owe you a beverage of your choosing.  Reinstalling on a machine I haven't
used for ages and I copied over an old home directory without much thought.
There it was.  My apologies for cluttering the list.