On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 10:51:23AM +0100, Sylvain Coutant wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We run some router/firewall boxes and will probably face a load problem soon.
> CPU takes much time in interrupt processing and I wonder if adding a second
> one (going to SMP) would help to speed interrupts processing ?
>
> How will the interrupt handling load would share between CPUs if we migrate
> to mp kernel with 2 or 4 CPUs ?

you can try and run an smp kernel on even one cpu.
it will make use of the ioapic(s) if present that
should make better interrupts processing. also depending
on your hw some hw supports interrupts coalescing
such as em(4) for example that you can play w/ #defines
in the driver to make less interrupts and high pkt/int...

cu
--
    paranoic mickey       (my employers have changed but, the name has remained)