I use TigerVNC server on the Linux VM (Debian) plus dummy video driver and
compiled vmm kernel modules for clock in sync and network...
https://github.com/voutilad/virtio_vmmci
https://github.com/voutilad/vmm_clock

On the OpenBSD host TigerVNC viewer has been installed.

Works absolutely amazing, like a physical computer.

For completely headless system I'd prefer OpenBSD and Alpine on VM. It depends
on goals.

Martin