Hello,

Just a question and maybe a suggestion. I am implementing a few DCs that
use vxlan symmetric routing and hence, layer2 redundancy protocols like
CARP (and VRRP/HSRP) do not work as intended due to evpn layer2 being the
technology of choice to announce ARP entries.

This led me to try out the "depend on carp" functionality that is available
on openbgpd. It does what I want, partially. It would be much more usable
if you cold define what this functionality does in case of a CARP backup
state. Currently it puts the bgp neighbor into Idle state. However, it
would be better if one could define that it should as-path prepend and/or
add a metric (MED) instead. This way, carp failovers would not rely on the
tedious and relatively time consuming process of setting up a BGP session
and announcing prefixes before it can truly be carp master.

WDYT?