Dear list,

Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> writes:

> On 2018-12-04, rsyk...@disroot.org <rsyk...@disroot.org> wrote:
>> I am running OpenBSD desktop, but I need to use my usb-connected
>> tablet wacom Intuos3, which, under OpenBSD, cannot be used together
>> with pressure sensitivity.
>>
>> Thus, I thought I could install, say, Alpine linux under vm, and
>> use the tablet via linux. I have Alpine running in vm now. But
>> I don't know how to make the tablet accessible to the linux, so that
>> the requested functionality would be available (i.e., probably use
>> drivers from linux for the tablet).
>>

> You would need some kind of device passthrough for this approach
> to work, but vmd doesn't support that, and adding that is probably
> much trickier than improving usbtablet(4).

I just want to check if, perhaps, there is something new about the
possibility of the mentioned 'device passthrough' in vmd.

Regarding the option to improve usbtablet(4), I asked Frank Groeneveld,
the author of wacom drivers on OpenBSD, about that in 2017:

> Dear Frank,
>
> I noticed you are the author of wacom drivers
> for openbsd. I also noticed, in the caveats part
> of the related man page, that no pressure sensitivity
> is implemented. Do you plan to add it at some point?
> Would it be difficult?
>
> (I have an Intuos3 tablet, and the lack of pressure
> sensitivity on openbsd is one reason I still have
> to use linux.)

and he answered:

> Yes, I wrote the driver to use the tablet as mouse replacement. Reading
> the sensitivity is not difficult in the kernel driver, however, I
> believe that the X mouse driver doesn't support sensitivity eithet,.
> That means we would also need to write a new X driver or extend an
> existing one. I have no experience doing that.

Is he right about the X mouse driver, or not? Ie., in the end, would it
be necessary to modify sth. else apart from usbtablet(4), or the
improvement in the latter would suffice to bring pressure sensitivity
(then I would perhaps try to modify it).

Thanks for any comments!

Ruda