On Wed, June 30, 2021 5:28 am, Raimo Niskanen wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> I just upgraded one of our lab machines from 6.8 to 6.9
> (amd64), and our lab environment is closed to the Internet,
> so using an HTTP proxy is required to reach out.
>
> I have set http_proxy, ftp_proxy and https_proxy in
> /etc/login.conf, the default class, but it is apparently
> not used by rc.firstboot after sysupgrade.
>
> With the new installer in 6.9 rc.firstboot seems to be
> a background process that hangs because of this, so when I
> logged in as root after remote upgrade I resolved the stalemate
> by first killing an ftp job serving fw_update, then a similar
> download job serving syspatch, and waited until the not updated
> kernel was relinked.
> Then I could run fw_update and syspatch manually.
>
> Is there a better / proper way to set a HTTP/HTTPS proxy
> for sysupgrade?
>
> Cheers
> --

I simply echo the export statements of the proxy environment variables to
/etc/rc.firstime before reboot. The installer will always append to the
file so fw_update will be added after the variables are exported.

The ftp process will timeout in, I think, 5 minutes.  That is a long time,
but you're not going to be hung there forever.

Tim.