Hi Stuart,

On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 08:23:06AM +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:
> One thing the OpenBSD host cannot know, is what specific port in that
> 10000:30000 range, is being used at any particular time.  I note they
> don't ask you to expose port 5060/udp, so presumably the device is
> _not_ receiving SIP traffic directly from incoming callers, but rather
> tunnels it via some sort of STUN-type arrangement or VPN (port 1194
> smells like OpenVPN).

A bit more web serching found some discussions
  https://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?t=15326#p106898
  https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28676066-Ooma-uses-SIP
  https://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?t=7553#p53035
  https://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?t=15072
where people claim that Ooma does in fact use an OpenVPN tunnel to
their own cloud infrastructure.

> What also we don't know, is whether the RTP traffic (the 10000:30000/udp
> range) is going to come from a single subnet, or from global addresses.
>  If you can find this information out, then it's possible to just
> expose yourself to your VSP (voice service provider) and be closed to
> everybody else.

Hopefully it only comes from Ooma's own IP addresses.  I will try to
run some experiments next week to see what the traffic actually looks
like.

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove color- to reply]" <jthorn4...@pink-gmail.com>
   on the west coast of Canada, eh?