On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 08:28:09AM +0200, Tom K wrote:
> JP,
>
> but why? If I reboot the other node, the system become MASTER.

That is because the other system stops sending carp announcements
when you reboot it. This is unrelated to the demote counter. The demote
counter only matters as long as another carp MASTER remains visible.
A forced failover like this could break active connections.

> At this time,
> no other system has more recent rule states and the 2nd system comes back,
> the 1st will fall to BACKUP although it has no adskew settings and
> demotecount still on 33.

> I'm very confused about this issue.

The pfsync interfaces adds 32 to the carp demote counter when it comes up,
and it removes 32 from the demote counter once it has obtained an up-to-date
copy of the state table, which can take some time.

This prevents the box from becoming MASTER while it may not yet know
about all the currently active connections.

Just don't worry about it. It is supposed to happen this way.