I have just installed MariaDB on a 6.9 box and I was wondering whether
adding a root password is needed? The root user can access the
database without a password by default, but IMHO if the box gets
compromised and someone reaches root access, adding a password to the
database root user doesn't really seem that useful?

Also, MariaDB has been setup as per OpenBSD maintainer instructions
with:

# install -d -m 0711 -o _mysql -g _mysql /var/www/var/run/mysql

And /etc/my.cnf:

[client-server]
socket = /var/www/var/run/mysql/mysql.soc

The "mysql_secure_installation" script fails with:

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Any feedback would be appriceated.

Kind regards

Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com/) Secure Email.