Christopher Sean Hilton(ch...@vindaloo.com) on 2021.07.21 14:20:58 -0400:
> I have a packet filtering bridge running on PF and OpenBSD 6.8. My
> hardware is  a SuperMicro Atom D525 service with dual Intel Gigabit
> Nics. I've added a second dual Intel card in a PCIe slot.

I have used this hardware in the past (5-6 years ago). As far as i can
remember you cannot get it much faster. If i remember correctly, routing
was even less.

> When I run iPerf across this bridge, I max out at about 550Mbit/s. I'm
> running systat on the bridge. At peak load, I'm seeing 1500 ~ 1700
> interrupts per second for each interface in the bridge via systat.
>
> I'm noticing similar limitations from another OpenBSD 6.8 firewall
> that I run. This is an Atom C2758 machine. And in this case, I'm
> getting about 650 ~ 700 Mbit/s from the slightly faster hardware.
>
> My questions are:
>
> * Where should I be looking for the bottleneck on this problem?

The IO paths of those Atoms are slow. Disk IO is also lacking.

> * Is it possible with tuning to forward packets over this hardware
>   at full gigabit speeds, ~950 Mbit/s?

Not as far as i can remember.

If you can get the later generation Xeon-D machines with similar form
factor. Much better hardware.