Joe Gidi writes:
> > Picked up a 4K display (LG 27UPS650) and it's gorgeous. Bright colors,
> > crisp, lovely. The console fonts and some application fonts are now
> > dialed in WRT size.
> >
> > But application menu bars have tiny icons and tiny titles, and their
> > man pages don't address that. Do those settings live in libraries I'm
> > not used to tweaking?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Edward Ahlsen-Girard
> > Ft Walton Beach, FL
>
> Hi Ed,
>
> The Arch Linux Wiki page on HiDPI is a good resource for this:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/HiDPI
>
> Personally, I am using the following settings in my .Xresources file to
> scale things to a usable size and get a mouse pointer I can actually see
> (I'm using a 4k 27" display as well):
>
> Xft.dpi: 144
> Xcursor.size: 32
> Xcursor.theme: Adwaita

This "problem" is proving quite entertaining on a ~13" laptop. I
don't use that machine for much so I mostly ignore it (it helps
that it has a touch screen that "just works") but the issue
on other (much larger) 4K screens driven by OpenBSD has been resolved
with a simple application of xrandr's --scale option.

Going from memory, the invocation is something like "xrandr --output
<monitor> --scale <rate>" where a rate of 0.5 or 0.666 has proven most
effective. Older window managers will need to be reloaded/restarted
after xrandr changes.

I don't know if this is the "right" solution but then again I don't
know if a right solution can ever include X.

Matthew