Vladimir Nikishkin <lockyw...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello, everyone.
>
> I found this problem when trying to write some go on OpenBSD:
>
> https://github.com/google/starlark-go/issues/382
>
> OpenBSD enforces ulimits on virtual space, whereas many operating
> systems do not. `starlark`, as, in fact, many other pieces of software,
> casually allocate "all virtual space in 32 bits", because presumably
> that does not hurt on other operating systems. Hence, software using
> starlark compiles, but does not run.
>
> What would be the best approach to make it work on OpenBSD?
>
> I am not an expert on POSIX memory management in any sense of the word,
> so please, those who are, comment on that issue.

Allocating memory for all representable int32 values seems dumb IMO, but
I've never heard of starlark and they may have their reason.

Regarding the issue, you wrote:

> I think the limit for ordinary users is 1052672 and something about
> 1552672 for the staff login class, and it is not possible to go above
> that.

It's possible (albeit probably not suggest unless you know what you do)
to bump that number, but you need to mess with login class and edit
/etc/login.conf, see login.conf(5), which may or may not be advisable
for users of starlark (again, I've never heard before of it so I don't
know in what circumstances it's used)

Anyway, disabling the "optimisation" on OpenBSD as the guy from google
suggested seems the most sensible choice IMHO.

My two cents,

Omar Polo