O 04/09/21 ás 18:25, ropers escribiu:
On 04/09/2021, Parodper <parod...@gmail.com> wrote:
So I wrote
:!sed s/abc/abc\/g % | grep -c abc
and then went back and pressed <ENTER> after that backslash, i.e.
:!sed s/abc/abc\<ENTER>/g % | grep -c abc
And it gave me a correct number of abc's for my test text.

I feel like the dumbest person in the world asking this, but what
EXACTLY do you mean by "and then went back"?
Are you using cursor keys?  I.e. should I have gotten those to work in
vi in  xterm and console?  Because I haven't.  The moment I try to
cursor back, I'm back to vi mode and the ex-style command mode line at
the bottom is gone.

Yeah, moving the cursor back and pressing enter. On the vi subject,
since I don't have my OpenBSD machine at hand I was testing this on
Debian GNU/Linux with sed --posix, and it has vim instead of vi.

Otherwise, if I try to just type
   :!sed s/abc/abc\/g % | grep -c abc
and press enter, I only get the same output I also get out of
   :!grep -c abc %
on its own -- which won't count multiple same-line occurrences.

A still confused
Ian

Now it is my turn to feel dumb. I was so focused on the newline-sed
subject that I forgot about that, so I did not put multiple abc's on the
same line :).

On that subject
:! grep -o abc % | wc -l
seems to work for me.