On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 18:59:11 -0400
Daniel Wilkins <t...@linuxmail.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 02:56:31PM -0400, Andre Smagin wrote:
> > Good day.
> >
> > I am looking for a hardware advice.
> > I don't upgrade my desktop very often - last one was about ten
> > years ago (AMD FX-8350 CPU), which I recently made my home server
> > running -current, no issues. Now I am looking for a new desktop that
> > will last another ten years, hence the question: if I buy the latest
> > available AMD chipset (X570 I think) and Ryzen 9 CPU - are there any
> > current issues with using it for OpenBSD desktop? I would like to
> > overkill it with the choice of hardware now, so I don't have to worry
> > about it for a while.
> >
> > I am ten years out of touch with hardware development progress, so will
> > appreciate any input you may have.
> >
> > --
> > Andre
> >
> You got me curious, so I went ahead and installed OpenBSD on the desktop
> I rebuilt this year.
> I've got a Ryzen R9 3900X with an MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK for the motherboard,
> and an R9 380 for the graphics card.
>
> Works totally fine from my initial impressions. Sound works, USB works,
> plays full HD videos fine over DP, drives the 1440p display with no issues,
> etc.
>
> The only thing "wrong" is that I don't think Audio-over-HDMI works.
>
> Hope this might help a bit,
> Danny

Thank you very much for the test! I feel more comfortable now, will
probably get the B550 chipset motherboard and CPU like yours.

And if there are issues with sound as others mentioned, I can always
use an external USB card, have one somewhere I think.
Only need SPDIF output going to a receiver on my desk.

Thank you all for the replies!
--
Andre