After more experimentation, I find that the runaway ACPI process occurs
every time I suspend/resume (Fn-backspace).  (The system resumes fine
apart from the runaway ACPI process.)

Is there any to kill or reset the kernel ACPI process short of rebooting?
/ps/ doen't see it, and /pkill/ (even /pkill -9/) has no effect.

I will try compiling a custom kernel with ACPITHINKPAD_DEBUG defined
in /usr/src/sys/dev/acpi/acpithinkpad.c and see if that prints anything
interesting.  Are there any other particularly useful debugging things
I should explore to help track down the problem?

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove color- to reply]" <jthorn4...@pink-gmail.com>
   on the west coast of Canada, eh?