Hello!

benoit-li...@fb12.de (Sebastian Benoit), 2021.09.30 (Thu) 21:42 (CEST):
> Chris Bennett(cpb_m...@bennettconstruction.us) on 2021.09.30 10:02:17 -0700:
> > I'm getting that the certs are expired, but https works fine in Firefox,
> > including when looking at the full chain.
> > openssl s_client -servername mail.strengthcouragewisdom.rocks -connect
> > mail.strengthcouragewisdom.rocks:https
>
> This is an issue with an expired root/intermediate certificate (DST Root X3)
> in use by Let's Encrypt.
>
> Stuart Henderson (sthen@) summarized it like this:
>
>   LibreSSL in OpenBSD 6.9/earlier is having problems with the expiry of a
>   CA certificate used to cross-sign Let's Encrypt certs.
>
>   LE decided not to switch to using their own root fully, rather they
>   are continuing to use the expired cross-signer to increase compatibility
>   with old Android devices, which is tickling this problem.
>   https://letsencrypt.org/2020/12/21/extending-android-compatibility.html
>
> An errata has just been published, you can install it using syspatch.

I've syspatch(8)-ed a machine that now delivers the following error:

$ ftp -VMo /dev/null \
        "https://shop.theater-phoenix.at/Events.aspx?msg=0&ret=1";
TLS handshake failure: certificate verification failed: unable to get
local issuer certificate

$ openssl s_client -servername shop.theater-phoenix.at -connect \
        shop.theater-phoenix.at:https
Verify return code: 21 (unable to verify the first certificate)

The server "shop.theater-phoenix.at" runs under Windows and uses
letsencrypt certificates.

Does this issue have the same root cause or is this something different?

Marcus