Avon Robertson [avo...@xtra.co.nz] wrote:

> Greetings Chris and misc@,
>
> As suggested above by Chris?
> 1. Downloaded radeondrm-firmware-20181218.tgz to ~/download/.
> 2. # rm -fr /etc/firmware/amdgpu/*
> 3. # tar -C /etc -xzvf ~/download/radeondrm-firmware-20181218.tgz
>
> The machine has been running without freezing for almost 24 hours,
> so the radeon firmware may be a permanent fix. If the freezes occur
> again I will send another email to this thread.
>
> Is there some way to prevent the amdgpu firmware being reinstalled and
> or updated, during the reboot following a snapshot upgrade procedure?

You might just have to carefully dance around upgrades and re-install
the old firmware yourself until the radeondrm-firware is updated again.

Since it appears like this could be a bug with the newer firmware,
it's possible it could be improved with the newer firmware.

Alternately, it could be improved in other ways. If this is a common
problem on these particular cards, and we know the older firmware no
longer exhibits the problem, maybe firmware for this particular
generation of card should be reverted.

Chris